On April 15, 1891, the Atlanta Chapter received its charter;
the first in the state, the second in the nation.
Another Chapter Regent, Mrs. Porter King, Sr., also served as State Regent. It was largely through her influence that Augusta's "Meadow Garden," home of George Walton, signer of the Declaration of Independence and Governor of Georgia, was purchased by the national organization. It was returned to the State Society in later years.
The past years of service to the nation can best be understood by reading the Chapter’s Minutes of Meetings and the Regent and Treasurers’ Reports. Its core objectives have always been:
The Chapter has sponsored a society in the Children of the American Revolution; hosted several state conferences and district meetings; and provided leadership on both the state and national levels. Our current C.A.R. commitment is to the Sons and Daughters of Liberty Society.
Lastly, in addition to the DAR activities, the members of Atlanta Chapter volunteer thousands of hours of service to their community.
In spite of these obligations, the chapter continues to meet stated NSDAR goals. Funds are contributed yearly to Kate Duncan-Smith DAR School, Tamassee DAR School, Berry College, and other school projects, as well as to various scholarship programs and scholastic awards programs, including ROTC and JROTC programs.
In 1916, a memorial fountain was erected at the intersections of Peachtree and Fifteenth streets, not far from the . This landmark,now in custodial care of the city, stands as a symbol of the education, historic, and patriotic work of the Atlanta Chapter, NSDAR.
In 1922, a granite monument was placed at the intersection of Peachtree Street and Palisades, marking the junction of the Indian trails, Echota and Peachtree. Throughout the 1920’s the Chapter placed numerous markers in Atlanta and the surrounding area (sometimes with another chapter) noting historic and significant trails and sights. Some of these have been removed and are no longer in our possession.
Our most precious relic is a wooden gavel made from a tree that was growing alongside the grave of Patrick Henry. It was given to the chapter in the winter of 1895. The gavel has been used by many noble people at numerous events, including the opening of the Jamestown Exposition and the inauguration of President Woodrow Wilson.
Meetings of the Atlanta Chapter, NSDAR are held in the Atlanta area. All are invited and no one is excluded from membership if they can prove that they have an ancestor who contributed during the years of 1775-1783 to secure the independence of the United States of America. Meetings are held from August through May. Topics of the meeting include American History, DAR Schools, National Defense, American Heritage, American Indians, and Conservation.
Our American heritage is to be revered. It is also to serve as an inspiration; challenging us to achieve even more and to extend that heritage to all of humankind in need of the blessings of liberty.
The DAR insignia is the property of, and is copyrighted by,
the National Society Daughters of the American Revolution.
Web hyperlinks to non-DAR sites are not the responsibility of
the NSDAR, the state organizations, or individual DAR chapters.
Last Updated: January 12th, 2017 by Webmaster